The Institute of Communication Studies and Journalism is part of the Faculty of Social Sciences of Charles University. It was established on June 1, 1990 as a successor to the abolished Faculty of Social Sciences and Journalism in the 1970s. Three years later, the faculty was divided into four institutes, the following year a fifth was added. In 1993, the current Institute of Communication Studies and Journalism was established.
Establishment of our institute
Current number of students
The institute is located on the Smetana embankment in close proximity to the National Theater and other important Prague buildings and monuments. Hollar Palace, today a protected cultural monument, was built in 1846 according to the project of architect Josef Kaura. However, the history of this place dates back to the 16th century, when the municipal courtyard with a limestone and brick building stood on the site of today's building. Today, the Hollar Palace, together with the ICSJ, also houses the Dean's Office of the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Hollar Gallery. The radio and television laboratory, which is an integral part of the institute, is located in the university building Celetná 20.
What does it look like here?
Our institute today
The Institute of Communication Studies and Journalism (ICSJ) offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs in marketing communication and PR, media studies and journalism. The aim of the ICSJ is to develop scientific and research activity in the field of public and media communication, as well as the history of media, with a special emphasis on the Czech Republic, the former Czechoslovakia before 1989, and its historical neighbours. The ICSJ analyzes mass media in international comparison and in political, economic a cultural context.
- Department of Media Studies
- Department of Journalism
- Department of Marketing Communication and Public Relations
ICSJ also has a Photolab, Editorial Department and Radio and Television Laboratory.