Department of Media Studies
Department of Media Studies
The Department of Media Studies dates back to 1993, when, together with journalism, it became an essential part of the newly established Institute of Communication Studies and Journalism - then still called the Department of Mass Communication. The key figures in media studies in our country took part in the establishment of the department - theorist Professor Jan Jirák and historian Associate Professor Barbara Köpplová, together with representatives of the fields that are constitutive of media studies. In 1995, the Centre for Media Studies (CEMES) was established at the Faculty of Social Sciences and is still an important research workplace of the institute.
Today, the department, headed by Professor Martin Štoll, consists of a team of leading domestic and foreign experts. The department supports knowledge of the development and current times of the Czech and world media in the context of the main historical, cultural as well as political and economic connections and develops the ability of theoretical and analytical thinking about the media and media communication. Since 2010, the Faculty of Social Sciences has been publishing twice a year a scholarly peer-reviewed journal Media Studies.
Heads of Department
- doc. PhDr. Barbara Köpplová, CSc. (1993–2011)
- PhDr. Petr Bednařík, Ph.D. (2011–2019)
- prof. MgA. Martin Štoll, Ph.D. (od 2019)
Significant Department Members
- doc. PhDr. Michal Černoušek
- PhDr. Jaroslav Kapr
- doc. PhDr. Barbara Köpplová, CSc.
- prof. PhDr. Jiří Kraus, DrSc.
- PhDr. Eva Ličková
- PhDr. Vladimír Novotný, Ph.D.
- prof. PhDr. Karel Šebesta, CSc.
- PhDr. Otakar Šoltys, CSc
SIGNIFICANT RESEARCH AREAS
- Analysis of media communication
- Analysis of media discourses
- Development of analytical methods of media research and their application
- History of Czech and world media
- History and theory of broadcast media (radio, television)
- Audiovisual media (including feature and documentary film)
- Participatory and network media
- Political communication
- Representation of various topics and social groups in the media and in the online environment
- Manifestations of pop culture
- Gender media studies
- Game studies
- Intercultural studies
- Media education and media literacy
You can study six study programnes at the Department of Media Studies:
- Czech bachelor programme Communication Studies - Media Studies,
- Czech master programme Media Studies,
- Czech master programme Media Studies in distance form,
- International master programme Media and Area Studies (MARS),
- International master programme Society, Communication and Media (SoCoMe) ,
- Doctoral programme Media Studies both in Czech and English.
Mgr. Ondřej Aust
PhDr. Milan Kruml, Ph.D.
JUDr. PhDr. Josef Benda, Ph.D. LL.M. Ph.D.
Mgr. Jakub Lucký
JUDr. PhDr. Radka Connelly Kohutová, Ph.D.
PhDr. Pavel Suk, Ph.D.
PhDr. Ondřej Dufek, Ph.D.
Mgr. Štefan Švec, Ph.D.
Mgr. Matouš Hrdina
PhDr. Jakub Železný
PhDr. Ondřej Kaleta, Ph.D.
|Dube Bakidzanani||Miroslav Langer|
|Anna Batistová||Veronika Lebedová|
|Mazlum Kemal Dağdelen||Tomáš Lysoněk|
|Martina Dobosiová||Jan Miessler|
|Muhammet Ali Dokumaci||Ali Minanto|
|Aleš Doležal||Dominika Mňuková|
|Lapa Tiago Gomes||Daniel Nielsen|
|Jaromír Hanzal||Klára Odstrčilová|
|Marek Háša||Osvaldová Lucia|
|Vojtěch Hodboď||Tereza Pavlíčková|
|Petr Horký||Jan Podzimek|
|Jan Houška||Lucie Roemer|
|David Chudoba||Daniel Růžička|
|Markéta Ivanišová||Karolína Šimková|
|Petra Jansa||Markéta Škodová|
|Zuzana Karaščáková||Klára Šuhajová|
|Lydie Kárníková||Martina Švecová|
|Susanne Helene Kass||Tomáš Vlček|
|Kristýna Kopřivová||Sadia Zamir|
|Ditta Kotoučová||Hana Zatřepálková|
|Nathalie Koubayová||Monika Zavřelová|
|Pavel Křemen||Aicha Zoghbi|